Thank you for your interest in the SHOAL Centre Independent Living — retirement living in Sidney. For your information “SHOAL” is an acronym for Sidney Healthy Options for Active Living.
Below you will find a brief description of the kind of suites the independent living area has to offer. Not all may be available at any particular time as most of our suites are occupied. Suites are available for rent and occasionally for sale.
• All 54 units are unfurnished with 5 appliances: fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave, and washer/dryers
• The 1-bedroom units have walk-in showers (no bathtubs) and stacker washer/dryers
• The 2-bedroom units have two bathrooms – one with a tub and shower, the other is an en suite with a large walk-in shower
• Adjoining these private units we have a Public Activity Centre and a Public Dining Room – which are both accessible to the residents as well by walking down the hall and using the elevator
Other SHOAL Centre services available on a “pay for service” basis, if needed:
- Compounding Pharmacy located in the building for easy access to medications.
- Mobile Foot Care Nurse, Mobile Hairdresser, Mobile Barber/Shaver,Chair Massage Therapist available, by appointment.
- Public Activity Programs – Annual Membership – $46/year entitles members to reduced rates on courses/drop-in programs.
- Volunteer Driver Program to drive you to medical/professional appointments.
- Tuck Shop – small household items, sweets, coffee/tea & muffins.
- Crafts and games — including ceramics, bridge, lapidary room, billiards, woodworking shop.
There are other amenities in this building that are best discussed in person, and I look forward to doing so with you should you wish more information on living at SHOAL Center Independent Living. Thank you, Rowena Hendriks.
Some Background on SHOAL Centre
Opened in October of 2004, the SHOAL is one of the most unusual award winning condominiums ever created in British Columbia. The Town of Sidney owns the land the building sits on. The town originally operated a seniors’ care centre on this site.
The condominium consists of four separate sections: 54 privately owned Independent Living suites, the majority of which are rented out, a Commercial section on the main floor, and Assisted Living section owned and operated by Beacon Community Services.
Under licence from the Town of Sidney, Beacon Community Services operates a large kitchen, also owned by the town, for all of those living in the building.
Under current statutes, the condominium has an overall strata council, and three Executive Councils representing the Commercial, Independent Living and Assisted Living Sections in the building.
The Independent Living Section has its own Residential Services Manager, as does Beacon Community Services. The Commercial Section is owned by Patrick Lenihan, the original developer.
Sutton Advantage Property Management manages the common property of the building including all maintenance, and also suite rentals.